The Millennium Project and Helsinki Node
The Millennium Project is an international network of over 1000 futurists, scholars, business executives and planners, scientists, and policymakers from more than 50 countries. The Millennium Project is a worldwide think tank, operating from an international perspective, free from single agendas. It is dedicated to exploring global futures by interviewing and surveying individuals in corporations, universities, NGOs, UN organisations, and governments.
The aim of the Project is to understand world change and identify actions that will help secure the best possible future for humanity as a whole. The Millennium Project employs a mix of standard futures research methods and new tools developed by the Project, investigating the leading factors shaping the future of the world.
The Millennium Project is organised into Nodes: each Node consists of a group of individuals and institutions who identify creative and advanced experts to participate in the Millennium Project’s research, interconnecting global and local perspectives. European nodes form a network called Foresight Europe Network (FEN).
The Finland Futures Academy co-ordinates the Helsinki node, established in 2001.
- Sirkka Heinonen (University of Turku), Chair 2020-
- Toni Ahlqvist (University of Turku), Co-Chair
- Mikko Dufva (Finnish Society for Futures Studies), Co-Chair
- Juha Kaskinen (University of Turku), Co-Chair
- Osmo Kuusi (Finnish Society for Futures Studies), Co-Chair
- Sari Söderlund (University of Turku), Co-Chair
State of the Future
The annual State of the Future report provides an assessment of the global situation and future trends; normative, exploratory, and very-long-range scenarios, and annotated bibliographies of hundreds of scenarios; and special studies on future science and technology issues, environmental security, and analysis of international policies and goals.
Each State of the Future report improves and builds upon the previous edition, addressing the international situation on 15 Global Challenges (with sensitivity to regional perspectives), prospects for the future, policies and actions to address them and indicators to measure progress.
- Heinonen, Sirkka (2021) Report of the Activities and New Plans of the Helsinki Node of the Millennium project. MP Planning Committee meeting, 15 Dec 2021. Videos and presentations.
- Speeches on MP youtube.
- Heinonen, Sirkka (2020) Report on the Activities of Helsinki Node of the Millennium Project.
Finland Futures Research Centre